Monday, August 13, 2012

salmon and black bean fried rice

Hi all! It gives me great pleasure today to be doing a guest post at Yummy Stuff Goes Here, a yummy blog authored by a blogger friend, Jackie Brodin, in Australia. Her blog features an eclectic and interesting mix of Asian and Western recipes with mouth watering photography to accompany her warm and expressive writing style.



As you all know,  in addition to blogging here, I also write cookbooks, develop recipes and have had my recipes published in local magazines in Singapore. I have been working in and around both commercial and domestic kitchens of one form or another for about 25 years now.

That sounds like a long, long time, doesn't it? In spite of the many hours I've spent around sinks, stoves and ovens, the memory of my first, and sadly, failed batch of chelsea buns at age 13 still feels very close.



But, above anything else, I am first and foremost, a mum of three energetic, always hungry and heartwarmingly appreciative boys, who think that I am "the world's best cooker". Suffice it to say, that I am perpetually in the kitchen, stirring or baking something up, to fuel my boys' batteries.



My boys are typical teens in that they want their grub plentiful, tasty but uncomplicated and they want it 10 minutes ago. This is a perfect throw together, all in one dish, for when you need something good to feed hungry, impatient boys. As any blogger mum will know, it's way too easy to get caught up in writing posts, styling your dishes, going after that money shot and sorting through and editing dozens and dozens of photos, then finding yourself faced with a hungry, angry mob because lunch was 40 minutes ago and the dining table remains cluttered with photography equipment and props, but is bereft of anything edible.



I was having such a day, writing then poring over photos for an upcoming post, when my two younger boys, done with school for the day, galloped in gasping from the heat, and ravenous.  As their eyes scanned the  table and countertop, I could hear the accusation in their voices when they asked, "Hi mum! What's for lunch??!" *yikes* I flew about the kitchen, dumped cold rice, black bean paste, and a fat salmon fillet on the kitchen counter then hurriedly peeled and chopped an onion. Thankfully there were eggs in the fridge, a forgotten cucumber and a couple of wrinkly chillies.



Anyway, I did what I could with my meagre rations and whipped up a surprisingly tasty and pretty fried rice. This particular version will probably remain my favourite for a long while as it's so easy, tasty, nutritious and looks so pretty because of the peachy tones of the salmon.  I hope you try it and that you will like it as much as we now do. For the full post, recipe, more photos and Jackie's great giveaway of a gorgeous cookbook, please head over to my guest post at Yummy Stuff Goes Here and leave a comment to be included in the giveaway!

11 comments:

  1. Hi Denise and Singapore Shiok readers ;)
    Thanks for the shout out and doing a guest post.
    I have been your fan for ages and I am so happy
    and excited about the giveaway. :) come say hello!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackie, it was my pleasure! I'm wishing you will be overwhelmed with entries!!!

      Delete
  2. Hey, I love using black beans in my cooking too! It's a must-have in my kitchen. My son is a fan of salmon & I'm sure he'll fall in love with this dish too.

    I've just got connected with Jackie Brodin recently & she's such a cheerful person with a bubbly personality. I'm enjoying her blog as well. Heading over there now....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley, me too! I used up the last of my black beans for this post. Now have to go buy some more, maybe buy 2 or 3 jars. The first time I made this, had no idea it would be so yummy! I think your boy will love this! Jackie is fun to read lol

      Delete
    2. Hey, are you two laughing at me? Don't play play.... I am very funny okay ;) LOL

      Delete
    3. rofl Jackie NOOOOOOOO definitely not laughing at you. It's just true that your posts are refreshing in their honesty and always leave me feeling tickled. Cross my heart and hope to blah blah blah ;)

      Delete
  3. Just in time! I have salmon, black beans, rice, making this today! Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I am going to enjoy this fried rice with all those chunks of salmon and chilies. Never tried black beans on fried rice though I use it quite a bit in my daily cooking. Lovely guest post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my kind of meal. Homey and flavourful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure this will be hit with my boys! Salmon, fried rice... and my kind of food and cooking, as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This such an excellent post Denise - isn't it GREAT how we put on our most creative hats when we are under duress and there are hungry boys to feed? I must make this soon - but I must add black beans on the grocery list :)


    chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a name with your comment. I may not be able to respond to every comment but every recipe related question will be answered.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...